Thursday, September 1, 2016

Florence University of the Arts (FUA)

Florence University of the Arts:

I thought I would make a section just for school since that's why I'm here. Florence University of the Arts, or FUA for short, is housed in old palaces scattered across the historical district. The main campus building is in a palace (or palazzo in Italian) on the banks of the Arno which is the river that runs through Florence. I'm here to study hospitality at Apicius which is the wing of the school here that deals with all things hospitality. But the school also has focuses in business, fashion, art, journalism, and photography.

One disappointment for me is that the school was mostly for foreign students and not a single one of my classes had an Italian student in it. In fact I'd say that the student body was 95% American students. I did meet someone from Ireland and Britain but they were the only non-Americans I saw. I'll touch more on it later but it is very difficult to meet Italians because they are very reserved.

My classes have been very easy so far as well as being very hands-on and interactive. I wish all my classes back home were like this. One example is for my cultural anthropology class we had to visit a museum in the city on our own time. I'm also taking Italian, photography, and sustainable tourism classes.

No comments:

Post a Comment